Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mentoring

My son is entering high school next week.  5 friends of mine are in the same situation.  Our only sons are entering a new phrase of manhood.  None of us want to miss this opportunity to let our sons know that manhood isn't the same as boyhood.

As a dad I plan to turn out a man that can change a tire, fix a drain, change an outlet and grill a steak.  I don't really need help with teaching those items.  But I also want to raise a son that know how to treat a women with respect and handle peer pressure.  I could really use the help of friends that are willing to stand beside me on issues that at times even full grown men struggle with.  

Last night we got some members of the class of 2011 to sit down with our sons and talk about their high school careers.  The soon to be college freshman did us fathers of soon to be high school freshman a huge favor by taking the time to mentor our sons.  We are very grateful to Ben, Brian and Andre for their time and witness.

It is my hope that during my life I am able to serve as a mentor to others.  I don't claim that I am the example of greatness that everybody needs to follow but rather that I would prefer that others not make the same mistakes that I have made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment