Friday, August 26, 2011

Book suggestion

A few years ago a read the classic "Raise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William L. Shirer.  It was fascinating.  It is a huge volume weighting in at 3 pounds and is 1264 pages long.  As its name and size implies it gives us great detail the Nazi regime and the leaders that brought us World War II.  It is a great but chilling read.

Based on my love of that book I recently purchased the book "Goering" by Heinrich Fraenkel.  Which as you might guess is about Hermann Goering, Adolf Hitler's right hand man.

Both books bring me to the same question.  Could this story even repeat itself again?  Could it happen in America?  I always still back on the answer of yes.  I would imagine that shocks or offends you.  But before you think of me as un-American.  Let me explain.

Germany calls itself a Christian nation.  It is the homeland of Martin Luther.

Germany was a democracy in the 1930's when Hitler took power and it still is today.

The Germany of the 1930's certainly was as diverse as the USA of today.  After reading both books you will see that it was a melting pot of sorts.

As Winston Churchill told us "Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment