Friday, January 6, 2012

Happy Birthday

As many of you may remember January 6th is my Grandpa Elmo Chapin’s birthday.  In past years I have sent out reminders that it is his birthday and explain way that matters.

It matters to me because my Grandpa is one of my heroes.  One thing that I remember about my Grandpa was his attitude toward his fellow man.  His loved to serve people and to make sure that he left every place he had been a better place than when arrived.  Sometimes that was as simple as picking up a piece of trash off the floor and throwing it away.  Other times it was lending a hand to somebody in need.

He did more behind the scenes favors than anybody I have ever known.  Giving people a lift up was what made him happy.  Often he did it for strangers.  He loved to find somebody that needed a hand and then help them out. 

So I challenge you to take hold of this tradition on January 6th and give somebody a lift up. 

(if you are looking for an extra credit project, shut the lights off when you leave the room!)


P.S
Today when reading the Bible I came across a verse that fits the theme of this post perfectly.  It is Romans 16:1-2.  Paul’s letters typically open and close with what typically can seem like meaningless personal greetings.
 
But in the context of my Grandpa’s birthday I learned a few things from reading these verses.  One of the things I learned was every word in the Bible is applicable.

No comments:

Post a Comment