Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Pauses that Shows Love

A few days ago my wife, two oldest children and I were sitting around discussing our day. As the conversation progressed my wife asked me a question. I can’t even remember what the exact topic was we were discussing or my wife’s exact question but what I do remember was that it was a very silly question.

I know that we all have been told there are no stupid questions and I am not saying that my wife’s question was stupid but I do remember that it was a sign she hadn’t been paying close attention to our conversation.

As soon as the question left her lips I paused because my first reaction was to mock the question that I was being asked. In fact I paused just long enough for my children to demonstrate that they had less restraint then me.

My children made fun of their loving mother because she had asked a silly question.

So I quickly jumped in and pointed out to my children that they shouldn’t treat their mother like that.

Score two for Dave!!! My children had pointed out the error in my wife’s ways (so I didn’t have to) and I was able to empress her by coming to her defense (because husbands should defend their wives).

But the truth is that nobody really needed to mock Sue. Regardless of who we are talking to, especially our spouses or parents we should treat others with respect at all times and making fun of people for what they have said typically doesn’t convey respect.

Our company is based on treating people the way we want to be treated. It is one of our core values.

On the day in the living room with my wife and children I paused before I spoke and lucky for me it gave me a chance to learn from my inaction for once. I got to see how important it is that we think before we speak. That paused allowed me to treat somebody I loved with respect rather than judgment.

Treating others the way you want to be treated sometimes involves not doing or saying something you are tempted to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment