Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Better than a Can Opener

We just received a nice thank you note from my wife, Sue's Dad.  The note included the usually thank yous for gifts given and kinds words of good times spent together over the holidays that most thank you notes tend to include. It also included a line from my father-in-law, Chuck, that many readers would have ignored or failed to catch.

Chuck included a line that said "so glad you got home safe and sound." 

You are likely thinking so what, Dave, of course he is glad his family got home safe and sound! 

I agree but most people don't include a line like that in their thank you notes.  Most thank you notes say things like, "Grandma, Thank you for the video games, I will play with them until my eyes go blind or my thumbs are numb" or "Mom, Thank you for the book.  I will use it to become a better person."  Maybe something like "Honey, Thank you for all six sweaters, I didn't realize my entire wardrobe needed replacing" even "Glad you got me an electric can opener because I was starting to reach my breaking point."

O.K. those were exaggerations but I enjoyed writing them. 

However if you know Chuck Stern you know he never fails to mention safety.  He always has a heart felt warning about some potential danger in life.  It is part of who he is.  The value of safety is never lost on him.  So his thankfulness of his daughter and her family's need to be expressed.  It is an expression of love.  He loves his family and wants them to be safe.  What an honor.

He doesn't us take it for granted. 

That is the mentality I want everybody at Willmar Electric to have for each other.  We should never take each other for granted and we should never take the safety and well being of each other for granted.

I am very grateful that my father-in-law gives our family such a wonderful example and couldn't resist sharing it with everybody.

Let's face it being safe and sound is better then all the video games, books, sweaters and can openers we could possibly have anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment