Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Happiness isn't second place

(Getty Images)

Do you enjoy the Olympics?  At the Chapin house we have been watching quite a bit of the coverage.  Even though I would rather be watching baseball.  But I have been told the Olympics comes around only once every 4 years and we always have baseball. 

First let me explain something else about my background.  Like Ice Skating and Boxing I don't consider Gymnastics to be a sport. 

Yep.  You read that correctly I don't consider Gymnastics to be a sport.  On another note I do consider Bowling, Curling and Archery to be sports. 

Before you flip out let me explain.  The reason I don't consider it a sport is due to how it is scored.  You see in Gymnastics (like Boxing) the winner isn't decided based on an objective system of scoring such as the fastest time or the most goals but instead by a panel of judges that give us their opinion on who the winner is.

Don't get me wrong I consider Gymnasts to be athletes.  I just don't consider it to be a sport.  Same is true of Boxers and Ballet Dancers.

Enough about that.

If you have been watching this year women's (girls really) gymnastics you may have noticed why the world thinks Americans are snobs.  First we collectively cried as our darling Jordyn Wieber was left out of the Women's All Around.  Then when our sure thing Vaulter, McKayla Maroney, fell and collected "only" a silver medal, she reacted in a less then gracious manner (see picture of her getting medal above).  Her reaction on TV with the Gold medalist standing right next to her was to barely acknowledge the other competitor.  Maroney said nothing to the Russia Gymnast that was clearly better then her on the day that matter.  Nothing.  Not a word.  Even as the rest of the competitors walked up and congratulated the Russian that had beaten each of them.

Don't get me wrong.  I have always considered second place to be first loser and I was raised by a mother that told me daily, "when you lose say little and when you winsay less."  But I also believe that we need to be gracious in defeat and acknowledge others when they do well.  Even if it comes at our expense.

Last night the Men's Vault was held.  The USA's Sam Mikulak came in 5th.  But for those of us watching at home he gave Americans more to celebrate then Maroney.  Mikulak was in 3rd place with two more gymnasts to go.  When the second to last competitor went and had, in the opinion of the judges, a very good vault Mikulak went over and told the competitor he had done awesome.  Even though the competitor had just eliminated his medal chances. Mikulak was ggracious in defeat.  Left me hoping he has future success.  Not because he is an American but because he is an honorable competitor. 

I doubt I will be cheering for Ms. Maroney.  I find myself hoping she has learn a lesson and will be less arrogant in her future endeavors. 

As an electrical contractor we find ourselves bidding projects and losing quite a bit.  I will admit there are times that we find the low bidder to be scary low and wonder how our competitor can possibly do the work for the price they submitted.  But we don't run down our competitor.  We except the results and move on. 

As an electrical contractor we are given many chances to weigh in on our competitors and the quality of their work and people.  People often try to bait us into running down our competition.  But we resist the urge. 

It isn't up to us define our competition.  It is up to us to do our best and concentrate on improving our performance.  We can control our actions and with that our results.  Once we have done that we need to be gracious in our reaction. 

Because it is often our reaction that leaves the lasting memory with others.

(On a side note I resisted the urge to title this blog "I'm a Loser."  Even though it would've given a nod to England's own The Beatles.)


No comments:

Post a Comment